- 2 romaine hearts or large head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled or cooked in leftover bacon grease and chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped. (I take out the yolk, can't stand yolk!)
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
- 2 large avocados, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey and Colby cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
I made this tonight. I have been “trying” to cook low carb for my husband because he is on some low carb diet. Whatever. I’m so bad at cooking low carb. What is dinner without carbs?! One of my pleasures in life is food (If you haven’t been able to tell by now) so why cut out all the good stuff?! This was good, I usually am not very adventurous with salad dressings. My staple is Wishbone Italian Dressing or Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix with extra Apple Cider Vinegar splashed on top. Oooo, my mouth waters just talking about it. My dad got me hooked on that. SO if you aren’t adventurous, stick to your normal dressing of choice. If you want something different, try this, I did. It was good, kinda lemony (is that word?), sweet, and tart all at the same time. I doubled the dressing recipe, I like extra!
1. Cook bacon until crisp. Reserve bacon fat to cook chicken in if desired. Salt and pepper chicken. Grill chicken or cook in bacon fat for extra flavor.
2. Add lettuce to a large bowl. Top with cooked and chopped chicken, crisp bacon, chopped hard boiled eggs, avocados, onion, tomatoes and cheese.
3. Combine lemon zest, red wine vinegar and agave syrup for salad dressing to a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper.