- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Broccoli, chopped
- Pepper Jack Cheese cubes, optional
- About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This Orzo side dish is a great addition to any summer cookout instead of the same old “pasta salad”. I put it along side some shish kabobs tonight and I will say that it was quite addicting. After I made it I had it sitting on the counter until Travis got home. Needless to say, I already ate my portion before he even got home. Of course I put more on my plate at dinner time too! I think that feta cheese would be good in place of the pepper jack cubes. There is always a next time!
Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, broccoli, cheese and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Yield: 1 3/4 cups